Acne is a complex condition commonly treated here at Skindepth. But how is it treated? We explain all the ways it is treated by our dermatologists.
What exactly is Acne?
Acne vulgaris is a very common subtype that occurs due to an infection of the sebaceous glands by a bacteria known as cutibacterium acnes. This infection often produces inflammation that can induce painful cysts, nodules and/or papules on the affected areas.
Many external and intrinsic factors contribute to this presentation, and the affected areas can range from just the face to the neck, back or spread across the body.
How a dermatologist might treat Acne Vulgaris
At Skindepth we take a holistic approach in treating this condition by combining dermal and medical interventions.
Dermal interventions include a tailored skincare routine, in clinic treatments such as;
Skincare ingredients for acne
Skincare ingredients we love to incorporate for our acne clients include forms of;
- Vitamin A or Retinoids/Retinol.
- Niacinamide/Vitamin B3.
- alpha and beta hydroxy acids (such as salicylic acid).
Skincare products that are great for acne-prone skin;
We also love well encapsulated, gentle but effective formulations of skincare and therefore frequently make recommendations from brands like;
- Avene's Tolerance Extremely Gentle Cleanser is an effective yet gentle cleanser that is ideal for congested and inflamed skins, as well as for clients who are taking prescription oral vitamin A.
- Dermaceutic's Dual+ Serum is formulated with a unique combination of two forms of azelaic acid and lightening actives to offer a double action against pigment spots and emerging breakouts.
- Biretix offers a full range of cleansers, gels and creams that have all been specifically formulated to treat acne-prone skin, all at an affordable price point.
- Alpharet Overnight Serum by Skin Better Science combines both AHA & BHAs to effectively exfoliate and increase cell renewal.
- Aspect Dr's Multi B Plus Serum is packed full of Niacinamide and more helpful ingredients to help balance oils, maintain hydration, alleviate redness and support skin barrier function.
- Cosmedix's Purity Balance Toner helps to remove impurities from the skin, and is particularly ideal for people who have problem skin, enlarged pores or oiliness concerns.
Dermatologist acne assessments for medication
In contrast, medical appointments with our dermatologists assess your suitability for medications such as;
- Prescription oral vitamin A.
- Oral antibiotics.
- Solutions for long term management.
Working hand in hand, Skindepth clinicians and dermatologists try to provide the most well rounded & effective treatment plan for each of our clients.
How Dermatologists might treat Acne scarring?
For clients that experience after effects of acne such as textural irregularities, scarring, post inflammatory hyperpigmentation and/or erythema; advanced dermal interventions such as;
- Nanofractional Radiofrequency, at Skindepth we use the Venus Viva device.
- Vascular laser, at Skindepth we use the VBeam device.
- Fractional Laser, at Skindepth we use the FraxPro device.
- A cohort of other laser modalities are also available and can be discussed with you at the time of consultation.
As a client at Skindepth, you have the option to see either a dermal clinician or dermatologist separately if that better suits your needs.
If you would like to book a consultation with one of our Dermal Clinicians HERE or chat to one of our friendly staff members at email@example.com or give us a ring at 9100 3183.
Client's before & after pictured: Prescription oral vitamin A for 6 months, using hydrating homecare prescribed in-clinic.