Let’s talk about chemical peels. The two questions we get asked most at Skindepth about chemical peels are “do they hurt” and ‘will I look like Samantha off Sex and the city after she gets a peel and need to go into hiding”. The good news is no! This stereotype of chemicals peels being painful and causing serious side effects is highly over-stated. In fact most peels are very comfortable and create immediate results with little to no down time. Here’s everything you need to know about chemical peels:
- Chemical peels remove debris and dead skin cells leaving you with fresh glowing skin. The peel also helps to promote the regeneration of new and healthy skin cells
- As peels remove the unwanted barrier of dead skin cells, your skin will better absorb your skin care products and become more effective
- Chemical peels are generally comfortable. However some stronger peels can cause some warmth and itching, but a fan can be used to alleviate discomfort
- Peels are modified and customised to your skin. If you are new to peels, lighter peels will be used and slowly built up over time as you skin gets used to treatments
- You may have some slight peeling day 3-5 after the peel. Just be sure to wear plenty of sunscreen to protect your skin post treatment (but of course we know you use SPF 50+ every day anyway 😉). Don’t pick any peeling no matter how tempting – it will come off in its own time
- Chemical peels assist with dull skin tone, acne and pigmentation. A course of peels can be customised to treat your specific skin concerns. They are also a great option for the back of the hands, neck and décolletage. (the most ignored areas in need of some love!)
- The end of winter is the perfect time of year to enjoy some peels helping to rid residual dead skin cells - quite literally shedding our old winter skin and bringing our new healthy skin out to flourish.
To find out if chemical peels are right for you, come in for a skin consultation with our skin experts, Lily and Amelia.