CO2 lasers for the skin are a popular treatment option for people who want to improve their skin's appearance and especially those looking to reduce the signs of ageing. These lasers use a concentrated beam of light to remove layers of damaged skin, stimulating the production of collagen and elastin, resulting in smoother, tighter, and younger-looking skin.
Here at Skindepth, our CO2 laser of choice is AcuPulse and we are so excited to welcome this innovative device to our laser offering.
Benefits of CO2 Lasers for the Skin
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles: CO2 lasers are effective in reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles on the face, neck, and chest. The laser stimulates collagen production, resulting in smoother and firmer skin.
- Tightens sagging skin: CO2 lasers can tighten sagging skin, especially in the neck and jowl area, resulting in a more youthful and contoured appearance.
- Minimally invasive: CO2 lasers are a non-surgical option for people who want to improve their skin's appearance without undergoing invasive procedures like facelifts.
- Improves skin tone and texture: CO2 lasers can reduce hyperpigmentation, acne scars, and other blemishes, resulting in smoother and more even-toned skin.
Risks and Side Effects of CO2 Lasers for the Skin
- Redness and swelling: After the treatment, the skin may be red, swollen, and sensitive for several days.
- Crusting and peeling: The skin may crust and peel as it heals, which can take up to two weeks.
- Infection: There is a risk of infection, especially if the treated area is not kept clean and dry.
- Pigmentation changes: CO2 lasers can cause hyperpigmentation or hypopigmentation, which can result in darker or lighter skin than the surrounding area.
These risks will be discussed thoroughly alongside ways to mitigate their likelihood, in your consultation with us.
The CO2 Laser Treatment Process at Skindepth
Every AcuPulse journey here at Skindepth starts off with a thorough consultation with one of our clinicians. This is crucial in ensuring that we’re aware of your skin goals and concerns as well as a thorough analysis to determine whether you’re the right candidate.
Things necessary to consider during our consultation process are your availability for downtime, skin history as well as expectations.
If you’re a viable candidate for AcuPulse, your treatment appointment will begin with the application of anaesthetic by one of our team members. At Skindepth we use a combination of topical and injectable local anaesthetic to ensure your comfort is upheld throughout the process. Patients are asked to attend the clinic at least 45 mins prior to facilitate the numbing.
During the procedure, our clinicians will use the CO2 laser to remove layers of damaged skin in areas of concern. The treatment can take anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours, depending on the size of the treatment area. Following the treatment skin will begin to heal and produce new collagen and elastin.
Post-procedure and downtime
Following the treatment, the skin will be red and swollen, and there may be crusting and peeling, but will subside over time. Depending on the condition treated, the downtime with this treatment will vary.
For small lesions such as scars and syringomas, the full ablative C02 laser downtime can be as little as one week. For larger treatment areas such as acne scarring or skin rejuvenation, if a fully ablative setting is used on the CO2 laser, there can be up to 2 weeks downtime. When using the fractionated setting (not fully ablative) the downtime can be reduced.
After the procedure, we will provide strict and important aftercare instructions to ensure your skin is properly cared for throughout the healing process. This may include applying ointments, keeping the area clean and dry, thorough application of SPF and avoiding direct sunlight.
The results of the treatment will become more apparent over several months as the skin continues to heal and regenerate.
The benefits of CO2 Laser and what to expect from your AcuPulse Treatment
What to Expect from the Procedure
Our AcuPulse Laser is a safe and effective treatment option for people who want to improve their skin's appearance and reduce the signs of ageing. While there are risks and side effects associated with the procedure, the benefits outweigh the risks for many people.
If you are considering CO2 laser treatment with us here at Skindepth Dermatology, we encourage you to book in for a preliminary consultation with one of our clinicians so we can ascertain whether this modality is right for you and your skin.